Catering Assistant – Part Time (25 hours per week)
Our Charity, Elgin Youth Development Group was established in 1998, with the vision of providing a safe social space for young people in the Elgin area. In addition we run our Social Enterprise, The Inkwell offering venue and catering hire as a method to financially support our charitable mission. The Inkwell also allows us to offer work experience opportunities for young people.
We are seeking a Catering Assistant to assist our hospitality team with the catering needs of Elgin Youth Development Group including our Social Enterprise and The Warehouse @EYC. This trainee role is offered on a 25 hr per week basis.
The successful candidate will report to the Chief Officer and will work as part of the team. They will have an interest in the work of the Elgin Youth Development Group. In return, we offer a fun working environment, a competitive salary and fully funded training. We strive to be a learning organisation and the successful candidate will be joining a team committed to delivering an excellent, contemporary and relevant offer.
- Ordering catering, kitchen and food supplies
- Preparation, cooking and presentation of food to our clients and users
- Cooking food to the required standard
- Presenting meals/snacks on the plate ready for the customer
- Deciding on menus in conjunction with the wider team
- Keeping the kitchen clean and tidy in line with health and safety requirements
- Being familiar with the Food Safety policy and contributing to policy development
- Completing daily temperature control charts and filing them in the appropriate folder in the office
- Reporting specific problems to the duty manager
- Advising the duty manager of kitchen equipment failure or any defects in the area
- Attending training and staff meetings to discuss operational plans and issues
- Ensuring food is stored appropriately in store cupboards, freezers and fridges
- Rotating stock to ensure items are used before or at least by their sell-by date
- Carrying out stock-taking as appropriate
We are seeking an individual who:
- Is interested in the work of our charity
- Wants to work in hospitality and catering
- Is able to communicate well with a range of different people
- Has a positive attitude to work and people
- Is keen to learn and develop their skills and knowledge
- Is open to getting feedback on their performance
- Is able to carry out tasks on their own
- Enjoys being part of a team
This role is funded through Community Job Scotland, eligibility criteria apply. For more information contact Peter on 01343 548300 or to apply visit Community Jobs Scotland.
Elgin Youth Development Group
Francis Place, Elgin IV30 1JW
T: 01343 548300 W: elginyouthcafe.org
Scottish Charity SC028216